We want to keep families together whenever possible. Our family preservation specialists provide short-term counseling for families whose children are at risk of being placed outside the home because of abuse or neglect, with the goal of teaching and building the skills they need to create a safe, healthy environment. Our intensive, in-home counseling also helps youth making a transition to a permanent placement, whether with extended family or foster families.
Key elements of our services
- Safety: Our primary concern is for the safety, care and well-being of the children and families with whom we work.
- Family focus: We provide services to the whole family and to individual family members as needed.
- Home- and community-based: We come to the family’s home or to other locations that the family finds convenient.
- Short-term care: Our services are usually available for four to six weeks. We also offer follow-up consultation and services as needed.
- Intensive treatment: Involvement in the program requires face-to-face contact with the clinician, often several hours at a time, several days each week.
- Finding solutions: We have designed our services to strengthen families’ skills and resources. We collaborate to find solutions to children’s and families’ difficulties.
- Availability: We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There is no charge to families for these services.
- Respect for cultural and ethnic backgrounds: Our staff respects the values, culture and ethnic backgrounds of all children and families.